The MA-300SN is a multi-pattern large diaphragm, vacuum tube condenser microphone. Based upon the widely accepted MA-200 designed by David Royer, the MA-300SN adds a continuously variable pickup pattern selector, 15dB pad, and a switchable bass roll-off. The MA-300SN gives warm, full-bodied reproductions of vocals and instruments, with none of the shrillness and high-frequency distortion artifacts that are often encountered with modern condenser microphones.
Utilizing hand-selected, dual-diaphragm 3-micron capsules, high-quality Jensen audio transformers, and military-grade JAN 5840 vacuum tubes, the MA-300 performs at a level reminiscent of some of the best-loved classic condenser microphones. The MA-300 power supply can be set for 115V and 230V, 50 or 60 Hz, through an internal switch (100V is also available). Each MA-300 microphone, power supply, and cable set is burned in for 24 hours, carefully tested and evaluated, then packaged in its protective case-within-a-case.
MA-300 Explained by Microphone Designer David Royer
- Remotely controlled, continuously variable polar pattern selector
- Switchable 15dB pad
- Switchable Bass Roll-off
- Hand-selected 3-micron double diaphragm capsule
- Jensen audio transformer
- Military grade JAN 5840 vacuum tube
- Internal switchable power supply voltage
- Ultra clean signal path
Use anywhere you would use a large diaphragm tube microphone.
- Voice Over and Broadcast
- Acoustic Instruments
- Drum Overheads, Drum Rooms
- Orchestral Recording
- Choral Recording
- TRANSDUCER TYPE: Externally polarized, pressure gradient capacitor - double diaphragm.
- DIAPHRAGM: 1-inch diameter, gold sputtered
- DIAPHRAGM THICKNESS : 3-microns
- POLAR RESPONSE: Continuously variable from omnidirectional to figure-eight.
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20 Hz to 20 KHZ, +/-3 dB at "flat" setting of bass cut switch. Bass cut switch provides 6 dB per octave attenuation below 100 Hertz in "cut" setting
- SENSITIVITY: -37dB re 1V/pa
- MAXIMUM SPL: 120 dB with pad off, 135 dB with pad on.
- DISTORTION:< 1% @ 117 dB SPL , < 3% @ 125 dB SPL with pad off, < 1% @ 132 dB SPL, < 3% @ 140 dB SPL with pad on
- SELF NOISE: 14db nominal, not to exceed 16db (A Weighted)
- PAD: 15 dB
- BASS CUT: 6 dB per octave below 100 hertz.
- DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT:
Carrying case with microphone, power supply, shock mount
and cables: 13 lbs.
Microphone: 7 5/8" X 2", 1 lb.
Polar Pattern and Frequency Response